Monday, January 7, 2013

Intro

My name is Carol. Well it's not REALLY Carol, but it's a tribute to the most caring & compassionate person in my life. She made me who I am, and now I need to use that same caring and compassion to guide her through these tough years to come. My mother has Alzheimer's disease and was diagnosed on November 29, 2012. I'd been telling doctors for almost 2 years that something was terribly wrong and it wasn't "Just a little bit of dementia that is normal for her age", as they kept telling me. Finally, I got a doctor who listened and sent us to a memory clinic. I knew in my heart how the evaluation would turn out. Although I don't know much about the disease, I knew what my Mom was suffering from was not normal memory loss due to aging. She, literally, could not handle complex thought anymore. A woman who loved to read was not getting past the first few pages of a book without forgetting what she read. She started forgetting names of people closest to us...my husband, his family, my best friends. She'd try really hard and know who she was talking about, but "couldn't pull their name". Besides, this awful disease tends to run in my family. That terrifies me.
 
When the diagnosis for Alzheimer's came back positive, the small glimmer of hope that maybe I had been over-reacting was destroyed. I was devastated. Instead of the hope of finding some help to recover her memory and basic cognitive skills, I got the sadness of realizing that it'll only get worse. Sure, there are medications to help slow the process, but they don't stop it. Nothing can. That's why I've decided to try and make the best of this journey and "Find the Fun" of the moments we have and of life, in general.
 
And so begins the discovery of the fun moments of our journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment